Often when I see women who’re DIY’ing their website struggle way too much and get caught up on the things that really don’t matter. Now, I don’t blame them. They’re doing it all for the first time. They’re learning as they go along. But I do have an axe to grind with marketers who proclaim you must have a swanky logo, a pretty website, a coach… or a zillion other things.
Having analysed hundreds of online businesses over a decade, having mentored many women to start their own business, let me straight away tell you this – you don’t need a hundred fancy things in place before you start, or grow, your business. You really need one thing and one thing one – paying clients. Yes, that’s it. Everything else is secondary.
But still women in the early stages of business will focus on finding just the prettiest logo, just the right color and font, just the right website, just the right business card… instead of doing the real work – which is going out and signing up paying clients.
Now don’t get me wrong – logos, branding, websites – they all have their place and purpose in building a business. But if that’s what you’re spending most of your time on in the early days – you’re doing things backwards. You should be focused on getting paying clients, on testing out and refining your business idea.
And just to make it really really clear, let me sum up the 5 things you most definitely do NOT need to start your online business.
1. A $1000 logo: Thing of the ONE online business guru you admire the most. Now think of their logo. Can you picture it? What color is it? What’s the font? Is it circular or squarish? Do you even remember it? I can bet that 90% of the folks reading this drew a blank. So why do you think it makes sense for you to spend days and weeks researching logos and logo makers?
2. A $3000 Photo Shoot: I know photos are important. I know a picture is worth a thousand words. But if you’re tight on cash, or just can’t find a good photographer where you live doesn’t mean it’s the end of the world! You know can get really good looking photos with a good camera phone? You know it’s really building a connection, a bond with your audience.
3. A $3000 branding package: Branding is basically about defining the look and feel of your business. How do you want to show up in the world?
4. A $4000 Copy Writer: Yes, words matter. But when you’re starting out, when you’re still figuring out your target market and your core offerings and your positioning and your packages – what are you going to tell the copywriter to write about? And if it’s all still in flux, if you’re still fine tuning it – well, you’re going to have to re-write it any way!
5. A $5000 Website Design: Good design costs money. Yes, you could get a web designer to do it for you for $500 as well. Or even $50 on fiverr. But you get what you pay for. Plus, as with everything else, if you’re still in the early stages of business and fine-tuning things, does it really make sense to pay a small fortune for a swanky website?
Again, to reiterate – there is a time and place for all of these things. They do serve a purpose in your business journey. But in the early days, when your business is in flux, it’s better to keep things simple and do it yourself! Especially so that you can make changes along the way as things evolve!
Oh, and instead of fretting and fuming and struggling and pulling your hair out to get the perfect hex code, or logo, or pictures, you should really be focusing on getting paying clients!
And that’s why I created the Website Bootcamp! Just because you’re DIY’ing – doesn’t mean you have to struggle!
In the Website Bootcamp, you get
- A complete Website-in-a-Box installed for you. It’s based on WordPress + Divi with lifetime access. Included 7 main pages, plus 3 secondary ones, plus all essential plugins
- Step-by-step on how to personalize EVERY page of your Website-in-a-Box
- SIMPLE step-by-step video lessons on how to create your logo, your branding, your copy AND all the other behind the scenes tech you need to jump start your business! I make it all super simple, kind of like paint-by-numbers – so that YOU can focus on what really matters – signing up paying clients and growing your business!
It doesn’t get easier than this!
So what are you waiting for? Click here to get started with your brand new website!